Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Racin' and Ridin'?"

So, I've been told that I'm being consumed by racing. The point was that I don't just "go for a ride" anymore. I had to think about that and for the most part it's true.. most of my rides right now are training rides, but they ARE rides. The difference is that I have a larger purpose and goal in mind. I love just going for a ride, but it's even more fun thinking about how I'm building strength that is going to help me do better at the next race. Taking 5th place in SS division was a large enough carrot a few weeks ago to get me motivated to be stronger. I've never gotten that close to a win on the SS before and it felt good.

For the first time EVER, I feel like I can get on the bike and go and not have to think about that point of exhaustion for a while. I did a mild ride with 3 friends last night and starting doing some one-mile intervals. I realized that I can push harder than ever before and it's not my legs that tire out, it's the lungs. The muscles are strong and ready to rock. Just gotta lower the asthma and work on the breathing.

At any rate... riding is still riding to me, the only difference is that I'm exponentially faster than I use to be... and I'm ok with that.
Ride on.

Papa C.

No comments: