Thursday, July 10, 2008

Waitin' for the Fog to Clear...

So, I got lost driving to work the other day because I couldn't see the street signs. Yeah, I was driving, like I usually do. I drop the kids off each morning, so riding isn't in the cards. At any rate, IT'S WAY TOO SMOKEY! I've lived in Sac nearly all my life and this is the most smoke I've ever inhaled! All my rides and training rides have been cancelled and I feel fat and lazy. I could go to the gym, but that means... going to the gym.

I bailed out on doing Death Ride this year. I want to know more about the heart palpitations (PVC's) before committing to a day of lung busting climbs and long fast descents in poor air quality. With all the smoke, my training got thrown off and I didn't get the mileage under my belt that I needed to complete DR. For me, it's all or nothing and I'd rather not waste a day up there and not complete it. The air quality and the heat played huge into my decision as well. Oh well, there's next year.

The next big idea of the year is the Tahoe-Sierra 100 MTB ride. It's only an idea at this point because I want to wait until after I see the Doc next week to make a decision on whether or not I should be training hard over the next month or so. We'll see. For now, I'm focusing on fun rides.
This weekend, "Sweet Cheeks" and I are hitting the road at 4am to get on the Hole in the Ground trail early so we can be at the top of the climb around sunrise. We all refer to those early rides as "Dawn Patrols". It'll be nice to get home before most people wake up!

PC

No comments: