Thursday, February 21, 2008

Wheel Weight Weenies


Ya' know.. I use to make fun of weight weenie bike owners (and still do), but I've gained more respect for the grams when it actually has a functional purpose.
When I started riding 29'ers a few year back, I was sold on the concept. The rolling, the traction, smoother ride... yadda yadda you've heard it all. It was then that I began to experience the extreme with regards to rolling weight. Larger wheels have more rotational mass and can affect your bike in many ways, some good, some bad. I started to pay more attention to tires, rims, spokes, etc. and have began to really cherish the lower gram counts associated with them. I recently bit the bullet with some Industry 9 wheels, Stan's hoops, sub 600 gram tires and the Stan's tubeless system. Man, what a difference. Faster acceleration, more responsive braking, quicker turning, all because of lighter rotational mass. My hubs are light as well, but it won't play into those characteristics as much.
Morale of the story.... Keep the weight down and "let the wheels go round!" :-)
Papa

No comments: